I’m not really sure how to start this. How do I convey to you how great,
magnificent, incredible, powerful, mighty my God is? How can I articulate to you how painful life
is, when your thoughts, ideas, plans, hopes, and dreams are crushed beyond
human repair? How do I describe the
sleepless nights, the anger, hurt, flood of tears because I/we couldn’t keep
our life together; we ripped it apart and the casualties of marriage, home,
finances, cars, and children were left in pieces. How can I get it through to you that the life
of a believer can go terribly wrong because of the believer?
“Be alert and of
sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking
for someone to devour” 1 Peter 5:8
I grew up in a Christian household; I was 9 when I invited
Jesus into my heart. You’d think that
was grounds for a great life…you’d think that with that background I couldn’t
possibly see my adult life in shambles….the foundation of my childhood was
rooted in Christ. I was heavily involved in church. I didn’t do what wasn’t
expected of a Christian. I genuinely loved Jesus and wanted to do all I could
to keep Him happy...I needed to be the perfect Christian. Now I’m sure that
there is a way to come up some psychological reason for this incessant quest
for perfection, but let’s just call it what it is; my sin.
Perfectionism.
So I approached life within the confines of being perfect. I
had erected my prison cell of perfection and there was no way I was breaking
free. In church, school, friendships, work, appearance, extracurricular activities,
etc , I needed to be perfect. If I wasn’t perfect what would people think? If I
wasn’t perfect how would they know that the God I loved and served was perfect
and wonderful? If I wasn’t perfect how was God going to use me?
That is a lot of I’s…I…I…I…
My desire for perfection became a tiring journey. One that I
couldn’t keep up with no matter how hard I tried and believe me I tried. Almost 3 years ago in May of 2011 it took its
toll on my marriage, family, and life. There is not one area that has been
untouched.
My world was in shambles.
An event came to pass that would slowly strip away every
part of me that I had worked so hard to put together; every part that I had
fashioned to be perfect.
Little by little I have lost almost everything; clothes,
cars, money, my home, my husband; some things cannot be regained and some are
gone for a time.
The pain is indescribable.
Yet in this horribly painful, long, tearful mess there is
the most incredible beauty. There is a perfect
God who loves me enough to meet me where I am, pick up the scattered pieces of
the mess I made, and not put them together. Did you catch that….He is not going to put my scattered pieces together. My pieces are the ones that made this
mess. My pieces are just what they say…mine…mine…mine. The Author and Creator of life loves me so
much that He will throw my pieces
away and give me His new ones. Pieces that are perfect because He made them. Pieces that fit together because the
Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End, knows exactly
where they go!
My God, is sovereign, the Supreme Authority, and He has called
this season in my life to come to pass. He knew exactly what was going to
happen, with God there are no surprises. Yes…He knew what was going to happen.
Some might say then why didn’t He stop it? Oh my family, if He had stopped it I
would still be who I was! I would be worse than I was. My loving Father did not
want me to stay in that prison of perfection! I was bound by chains and He
wants me to be free!
I wouldn’t change this journey, this moment for anything.
The pain, sorrow, sleepless nights, aching heart is real and
some days I am worn out…but I wouldn’t change it.
I am brought to tears and my heart aches that my sin was in
direct disobedience to God.
I am in awe of God’s great love for me. I have never
experienced His words the way I have during this time.
I have never felt His
presence so strongly before. I cling to His every word and know I cannot do
this life alone.
I am not alone for my God goes with me. He knows it all and
it is and will be good.
“And we know that in all things God works
for the good of those who love him, who have been called according
to his purpose” Romans 8:28
Perfection is found in Him and only Him.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of
witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders
and the sin that so easily entangles”. Hebrews 12:1
No comments:
Post a Comment